Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Marx Sparkling Super Power Tank

When I started this blog it was with the intention of  featuring primarily vintage toys but somehow I got sidetracked and a whole lot of modern stuff crept into the posts. The same thing happened with my train layout. In concept it was to be a strictly Marx layout but it didn't take long for 'subject creep' to take over and before I knew it, all kinds of stuff ended up on it. I imagine this sort of random collecting happens to a lot of collectors, at least I hope it does - I don't want to feel alone :-)  Today's post is the result of one of those random purchases, although it does in fact follow my vintage toy interests. 
A few years back I got into this 'Sherman Tank' buying binge and this tank simply attracted my attention and I bought it, even though the treads were separated. After picking the minds of the guys over at the 'Marx_trains' Yahoo discussion group I was able to glue the treads back using 'Loctite Ultra Gel Super Glue'. The seam held quite well even though the treads had to be stretched in order to get them over the rollers. HOWEVER, as I was doing that another split appeared and nearly separated the treads again aaaaaargh! Cosmetically the tank looks nice, although the plastic gun barrel atop the turret is broken off. The wind-up key is built into the tank is not removable. The tank measures 9 3/4" (24.8cm) L x 5 3/4" (14.6cm) W (not including the width of the key) x 5 1/2" (14cm)H. The wind-up mechanism slips so this really isn't a toy for play, but rather a toy for display, and overall it does display well. Me & my Wife Enjoy it so can you :)
Fortunately there is a good repair technique for repairing split treads as I found out.
The Berg's


















Unfortunately, old treads may have multiple trouble spots as this this new split testifies.


This is an edited photo from an eBay auction. It's from the exact same type of tank - same graphics and everything - yet appears to be from a later version. Notice the rollers are entirely different and there are two distinct types of rollers. The drive wheels appear to be the same as mine. I have seen this in multiple auctions so there appears to be distinct variations on the original design.