Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Thomas Toys Sedan - Yellow HP

Last October 12, Toys & Stuff featured the Thomas Toys Sedan in Turquoise hard plastic (HP) and today - finally - we're showing the yellow HP version (there are likely more color variations out there but these two are the only one's in my collection - so far). This is one of those Nifty '50s toys when plastic was finally coming into its own as a medium for producing toys. Many of the cars, trucks, and planes of the day were based loosely on the real thing or were just fantasy designs of the toy maker.  I couldn't identify this to a particular make of car although it does remind me of a Nash. In Walt Hiteshew's 'Pictorial Guide to Plastic Cars and Trucks' (see below) it is identified as a Ford Sedan. The license plate reads 'IM 879' although the Thomas catalog number is I-183. The car measures 4 1/2" (11.4cm) long.

I haven't really posted a whole lot of vehicles, perhaps a couple of dozen or so in both plastic and tin-litho (haven't yet touched the die cast stuff) but in the past few years there have been a couple of reference sources which I've thoroughly enjoyed. The first is Bill Hanlon's "PLASTIC TOYS Dimestore Dreams of the '40s & '50s" the other is Walt Hiteshew's 'Pictorial Guide to Plastic Cars and Trucks'. Walt is both a tinplate train collector and toy collector and has put out several guides on CD which are excellent. He has guides for Marx trains, European clockwork trains, and this plastic vehicle guide. For all his products check out his website: http://www.toyandtrainguides.com/

You may have noticed I haven't mentioned anything about the O'Brien's guides which are also quite good but I just haven't plussed-up my library yet to include them. Books tend to get pricey and this year has seen a marked decrease in hobby spending. As budget permits, it would probably be easier to pick up some used copies from Amazon.com, but for right now I'll make do with what I have. In any case, hope you like this blast from the past. As always, Enjoy!














No comments:

Post a Comment