Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Americana Dunker Church Revisited

Exactly a week ago on the 23rd I posted Americana's Dunker Church and voiced my frustration at its assembly instructions being incorrect, and my failing to catch the error when building the church. I was a little hesitant in taking it apart and re-assembling because, quite frankly, I'm a bit of a klutz! Fortunately my fumble fingers needn't have worried as the church came apart and reassembled without problems. So, here's the church assembled the correct way. Enjoy! Fritz and Bettina Berg

Let's call this the 'front' door. I honestly don't know if that's historically correct but will help us in our explanation


The instructions clearly show the end wall with door is placed to the right of the front door


This photo taken just after the battle clearly shows the end wall door to the left of the front door

Library of Congress

Okay, I feel better now - the end wall door has been successfully relocated!



3 comments:

  1. Ed, does that represent Shiloh church, after which the battle of Shiloh was named? Can't explain the two doors on two adjacent walls, that wasn't a Dunker tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, this is a scale replica of the Dunker Church that stands at Antietam. Unless the local museum over at Sharpsburg has some more info on local Dunker practices I couldn't say why there were two doors on adjacent walls, but period photos do show the placement of the two doors and period artwork of the battle scene verify it as well. - Ed

      Delete
  2. Fritz! Hast Du Schoen gemacht Deine Frau Bettina :)

    ReplyDelete