Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Japan - UNK - USAF North American YF-93A - Maybe

Today we have a terrific little Hunk O' Tin from an unknown Japanese maker, a plane I'll designate a North American YF-93A until such time a better match can be found (I don't have a library of airplane books and simply don't have the time to spend hours and hours on the Web searching for things). The real YF-93A program never made it past having two prototypes made in competition with other aircraft and that competition was lost to the XF-88 Voodoo. The profile of the toy is a very good match for the real aircraft with two obvious differences: the horizontal stabilizer on the toy is too far down on the fuselage; and while they both have tricycle landing gear, the real airplane's smaller wheel assembly was in front, not to the rear of the fuselage. It measures 5 1/2" (14cm) L x 4 3/4" (12.1cm) wingspan x 2 3/4" (7cm) H. Toy companies were not adverse to either producing aircraft that never made it to the production stage, or making planes that had a generic look to them. It's a cool addition to your tinplate flightline - Enjoy! Fritz and Bettina Berg

National Museum of the U.S. Air Force

National Museum of the U.S. Air Force

National Museum of the U.S. Air Force























2 comments:

  1. Bit too tinplate for me, Ed. And I'm not to sure about the giant friction drive wheels. I'm still keeping my eyes open for a Marx Hustler, though, but you were dead right about the prices of them : - (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scoop my new mission in life is to bring you over to the Dark Side, I mean the Tin Side LOL BTW a Marx Hustler just ended on FleaBay and I believe it went for just under $100 but it did have a couple of issues. Still, that was a good price.

      Delete