Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Midgetoy Space Car 1940s

One of the areas of collecting I just haven't gotten into much were the Tootsietoy, Midgetoy kind of toys. Generally they were small, inexpensive, cast metal toys of all kinds that allowed kids to have a wide variety of playthings without denting their parents wallets too much. I had a bunch as a kid but sorta never got into as an adult collector, although they have been creeping into the collection here and there. This Midgetoy I believe first came out in the 1940s but I don't have any books covering these little gems so can't say for sure, but they were definitely available in the '50s. The car follows the fad of futuristic space cars that many toy manufacturers were following during this period. It was a time when everyone was looking to a bright future. vs. the visions of a dystopian future we've transitioned to :-(  Personally, I prefer the brighter outlook for mankind - I'm just not sure I'll be around long enough to see it.

These toys tend to get pricey in good condition but mine was pretty cheap because it's been repainted and I'm okay with that. One of the colors these cars came in was silver so this repaint is plausible. At 3 1/2" (8.89cm) long it's quite a bit smaller than my Marx and Archer futuristic cars but is still a great addition to the fleet. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina



















No comments:

Post a Comment