Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Moon Over las Vegas

We've had a quite a spate of frustrations starting just before Christmas last year ranging from wrecked cars, to repairs on the other vehicles, to appliances breaking down (a dryer, wash machine, and dishwasher all being replaced within six weeks of each other!!), a series of camera mishaps, and other things I won't go in to.

I had bought a new Canon last year that lasted about two months before it got dropped on the floor. So I let Bettina borrow my Fujifilm camera which was a couple of years old while I used an old, pocket sized point-&-shoot Nikon for my hobby photos. That pocket Nikon was a loaner and I couldn't keep it for long. I then bought a Nikon Coolpix L340 for my photos and it turned out to be great for macro shots which I have to do all the time taking hobby photos....  

 ...then someone in the house (I still don't know who) dropped the old Fujifilm camera and busted it all up. That meant Bettina had to use my L340.  That brings us to last week when I bought a refurbished Nikon Coolpix L840 for Bettina freeing up the L340 for hobby pictures and I could return the loaner Nikon. Have you been counting? That's five cameras in use over the past eight months or so. 

You know what the really sad part about all this is? I still have my Polaroid SX-70 and Minolta XD-11, both of which I bought back in the '70s shortly after they first came on the market, and both of which still work!!! 

Okay, that being said, the Coolpix L340 and L840 are basic 'bridge' style cameras. They work great for quickie point-&-shoot pics, have great zoom capability, and really work well for macro shots but because they lack a manual setting function and have only a limited suite of settings, getting halfway decent shots of something like the Moon is hit-or-miss. This picture Bettina took of the moon this morning is about as good as this camera will get for these type of shots. It turned out well enough but was a lucky shot.

We'll keep trying and see what works best when taking shots of Luna. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina


No comments:

Post a Comment