Pages

Monday, October 16, 2017

Giant of Hong Kong Viking Ship

I stated in a previous post that I had a bunch of Giant Plastics of Hong Kong sets growing up back in the day because they were cheap and the folks could buy a nice set for very little money. One of my all time favorites of the line was their Viking ship. I just thought this thing was awesome and it still is! These ships go for a king's ransom today so when one became available that I could actually afford I scooped it up. My sample is missing the steering rudder (? - I'm not a 'boat' person, not sure of the terminology) but is otherwise in decent shape. Giant never made oarsmen for these boats, what you got were standing figures, along with the other warriors that came with the sets. The boat itself is 7 3/4" (19.68cm) L x 1 1/2" (3.81cm) W (hull) x 5 1/4" (13.35cm) H to the top of the mast.

This may be the last 'Giant' post for a while as all I have are bits and pieces of other sets, not really enough to do a decent post, but the past few entries do tie in to the whole Medieval/Viking/castle theme we've got going of late. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

















2 comments:

  1. Now that is one brilliant looking plastic ship Ed and Oma! I love brightly coloured vintage like this and I would have as a kid as well. Through your excellent photography I'm becoming aware that Giant toys were really attractive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Woodsy! 'Giant' was one of my favorite toy companies as a kid and this Viking ship was like the crème de la crème for me!

      Delete